Newchurch, All Saints

www.noyes.org.uk



Arreton
Brading
Brighstone
Carisbrooke

Chale
Freshwater
Godshill
Newchurch
Newport
Niton
Ryde
Shanklin
Shorwell
Whitwell


Tower Contacts
The District
Ringing Times
 6 bells, 7-0-19 Thursdays 7.30,
Sunday 9.00
Ground floor  OS map link
SZ562855
The bells have been tuned and re hung with a new 3rd by Whitechapel and were first rung on 19 July 1990. They were the worst toned bells on the Island and were unsafe until 1989, but now sound reasonable and are easy to ring. The trebles are quite light and can try to force the pace in ringing unless kept in check. Park by the church (if you are lucky) or just behind the tower, or try the pub just along the road.

Newchurch is one of the seven original parishes on the Island, and formerly included Ryde and Ventnor. The church was originally built by Fitz Osborne during the reign of William the Conqueror although it has undergone a great del of change. The wooden section of the tower was rebuilt during the reign of Queen Anne with its present design with the distinctive white weather boards.

Up until 1990 the six bells were hung in a wooden frame in the wooden part of the tower. The bells went poorly, were badly out of tune, and the strain on the tower was too much for ringing to continue. In 1990 the bells were removed and taken to the Whitechapel foundry in London. The third was recast and the bells tuned, and returned to hang in a new metal frame supported by the stone part of the tower. The bells are now tuneful and easy to ring.


Treble T Mears & Son of London fecit 1810 2-3-0 G
2 Thomas Mears & Son of London fecit 1810 3-2-1 F
3 Thomas Mears & Son of Lnodon fecit 1810

E.H. O'CONNOR - VICAR
A.C. GRIMWOOD  )
R.E. RICHARDS ) CHURCHWARDENS
1990

RECAST
1990
WHITECHAPEL
4-0-26 Eb
4 T Mears & Son of London Fecit 1810
Rev. W. Sneyd Curate
{engraved}
4-1-16 D
5 A.N.N.O. 5189 6-0-21 C
Tenor ANTHONY BOND MADE ME 1626 7-0-19 Bb