Arreton, St George
Arreton is one of the original seven parishes on the Island, and is the only Island church dedicated to St George.
The 13th century tower had its distinctive buttresses added in the 15th century in order to support it, and now contains a ring of six bells.
As early as 1553 Arreton possessed four bells, one of which was a sanctus bell cast by John Tonne of Sussex in about 1530 and still survives today. In 1649 the bells were rehung and it is possible that the three main bells would have become the first bells hung on the Island hung for 'full circle' ringing. In 1896 two bells were cast by Carr of Smethwick and in 1951 Charles Yates of Arreton Manor paid for the Whitechapel Bell Foundry to cast a sixth bell and rehang the existing bells.
However, the tone remained poor and the bells have now been tuned and rehung with the old 3rd "retired" and a replacement 4th.